Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Patriotic Photo Challenge

The last challenge for our photography blog was to take a patriotic photo.  I took my camera to Boise on 9/11 thinking I'd see all kinds of things...nothing.  So, I've been taking my camera to work with me, looking for something.  Then Robin said she had thought about a photo of a veteran or someone standing at attention, etc.  I hadn't even considered that.  Still watching...nothing.  Finally tonight, Jeff and I went to the Paul cemetary so I could take photos of Dad's grave.  I was hoping for a flag on it, but they've taken all those off so they can mow I guess.  But, I did like this memorial by the little chapel there.
This photo is just above the memorial, and the flags were fluttering in the breeze which was cool
This one is taken from Dad's grave site.  It's really a very beautiful cemetary.
This is the headstone the veteran's put on Dad's grave.  He never talked about the war, and I always assumed it was because it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I sort of wish he had told us about it, but maybe it was just too difficult to talk about.  I've seen many war movies, and it didn't look like it would be to pleasant to tell people about.  I've always wondered about the "post traumtic" syndrome...he never acted like anything was wrong, but by never talking, I'm assuming there had to be something there.  I've always been very proud that my father served and fought for our freedom.  It really makes me upset that so many Americans do not appreciate or understand the sacrifice these men made.  My father had four children and was in the middle of building a home when he was drafted.  And my mother said Grandma Stapelman shook his hand and wished him good luck...good ole German!  No wonder it's hard for me to hug people and tell them I love them, but I've gotten better at it.

No comments: