Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor day weekend

We spent the weekend in Arco, and rode pretty much the same places Jeff and I had gone over the 4th of July.  We had talked about it all so much, that his family all wanted to see it also.  Vern & Reta both have a little back trouble, so they got braces and wore those.  Reta hates high places, and roads that have drop offs, but Vern went nice and slow for her, and she said she did just fine.  The first place we rode was up to Iron Bog Lake on both sides of the road.  The second road is a little rough and rocky, so Reta stayed down below. 
We ate lunch at the Iron Bog campground, and then headed up Antelope Creek.  This was the road that I didn't think Reta would manage, but she did great.  It is fairly steep and there's quite a drop off on the one side.  This photo is of them coming up.  We saw three deer right on the road just in front of us here.  The road was like a freeway...lots of bikers, 4-wheelers, and pickups.  I was sort of surprised how many women we met that were riding two wheelers.  Most were all dressed in full riding gear too.
After we got to the top of the pass, Jeff and Steve wanted to ride into Copper Basin and take the Lake trail.  I didn't want to go when I found out that was the trail they were taking.  Jeff and I had tried it a few years ago, and it was very rough.  We ran into snow and had to turn around.  You could see where someone had rolled their 4-wheeler off.  This summer over the 4th, that's the trail that a man was killed on, and his wife had to be life flighted out.  No thanks.  So Vern & Reta and I went back to the trailer to wait for them. Reta and I picked up a few rocks to bring home, and then we just sat...in the wind...and the cold...and the dust...for a couple of hours.  It was the pits, but I guess Steve and Jeff had a good time.  The photos Jeff took of the lakes were really pretty.
This photo is at the pass..I can't remember the name...Bear Creek or something like that.  It was 7500 feet, and Antelope pass is 9500...or close.  Anyway, it was pretty but not nearly as pretty as over the 4th.  Everything is much drier now.
Last night I picked corn and froze it.  Mom gave me a recipe where you cut your corn off the cob, add butter, salt, sugar, and cream to it, and then bake it for an hour or so.  Then cool and bag.  I'll probably get around 8 pints of corn.  Not much considering the work (picking, husking, cleaning, cutting, cooking, bagging, cleaning up the kitchen)...but it is super good.

No comments: