Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pinewood Derby at the family reunion

Treven was really excited about building their pinewood derby car, and he pretty much picked the color and design for it.  They found some rub-ons in the scrapbooking stash and he was set.  When they weighed it, it was only a little over 2oz. so that night, they added a quarter with tape. He was really proud of it.
Doris got a package when we went in the gym.  Her son Scott, who lives in Montana couldn't come this year, but he built her a car and sent it to Larry to give to her that night.  So, she got to race her own car.  Joel was almost more excited about it than she was, and he would run to pick it up after every race for her.  Jason said he kept working on his until it pretty much looked like a cross coming out of a boat...so he named it "Holy Roller".  He had even painted that on the top of it.

The borrowed the track from the Dayley's in Rupert, and they even came to pick it up Saturday morning.  Is that nice or what?  We had a great time racing with several divisions and run-offs.  There was a big difference in the lanes, so at the end, they raced three races with cars being moved from lane to lane to make it fair.  They had popcorn and cotton candy for treats while we were doing the races.  They also had some games going for the little kids that weren't as interested in the car race.
Dale and I tried to do "photo finishes".  I never did really get the hang of it.  I usually snapped my camera to soon or too late.  I had it on the sports button, which worked...I just couldn't seem to get my timing down.  I kept trying to snap it too soon...too used to that delayed snap I guess.  On this camera it doesn't have that so much.  But what a fun night.

No comments: