Saturday, July 9, 2011

4th of July- Day Four


On our 4th day (the 4th of July) we rode up to the Antelope Creek guard station again.  This time we went up to Iron Bog Lake trail.  We did not climb up to the lake, but I really would like to sometime.  Jeff just isn't interested in climbing though.  It was a great trail, and there were a couple of snow slides along the way again.  There was a huge waterfall coming down the mountain side.  Last year, it was there on the 4th of July, but gone when we went back the first of September, so it's really just run off.


I love scenery.  I could take photos all day if they would let me.  Of course, everything looks pretty with your eye than after you print them.  It was just so pretty there though.  It was like spring had just come.  Everything was so green and full of flowers.


You can't really see it from this photo, but we didn't go up this trail because the creek was so high.  Steve went across it, but the creek bed was full of big boulders and the water was very high.  It had cut away at the edge, and Jeff just didn't think Reta and probably even Susan on her bike could get across and up the trail safely.  I know Steve was disappointed at how tame the rides were, but...I had to admire Jeff's parents for what they did.  They are both getting up in years and I thought they were just great.


We went up Antelope Creek and thought we'd probably get most of the way to the top, but we ran into this snow slide and that stopped all of us but Steve and Jeff.  They rode their bikes across (after several tries) and went on up until they hit snow again.  Pretty much at the top.  You can't really see it in this photo, but water was just pouring out under the slide.  Down the road and then over the side.  I'm sure the snow was melting a foot or so a day. 


While we were waiting for Steve & Jeff to return, Reta leaned back on her bike and took a little rest.  Susan had brought Jordan almonds and shared them with me...love them!  Thanks Susan for sharing. 

This was one of the last trails we rode.  We ran into a couple of trees down over the trail, and it ended not far past there anyway, so we turned around and came back.  Aren't the mountains beautiful?  I was driving down the trail and looked in my mirror and couldn't believe how gorgeous it was.  Had to stop and get a photo...Waited for Steve to come up the trail since he would never pose for me.
When we got back that evening, Jeff and I made chicken faihitas (I know that isn't spelled right...sorry) with rice.  Then we had raspberry cream cheese pie for dessert.  I thought it turned out really well.  We also watched fireworks for about an hour and a half.  It started out all across the valley, and ended up with the big ones in front of number mountain.  I think people were up most the night lighting fireworks.  We could hear them forever.
Tuesday morning we got up and packed and then ate breakfast, and we all headed our own ways.  Steve left Monday night for Utah, Dave  & Susan Tuesday morning.  Vern & Reta and Jeff & I headed back home.  It was disappointing to be leaving, and yet when we got home, that seemed really nice too. 
What a great time.

No comments: