Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ellie's Sleep over


I was so excited when Danelle said their family was going to LasVegas, but they were not taking Ellie.  They thought it would be too hard for her.  So, I volunteered to take a day off work and keep her.  And it was even more exciting when they decided that she could come on Sunday evening and spend the night with us.  She is such a special little girl.  I was excited for weeks.  Talked about having her to everyone that would listen.  So, she came and we had a ball.
When her family left, Grandpa asked her if she wanted to wave at them until they were gone, and she said "yes...but I'm not going to cry".  And she didn't.  She helped me bake cookies, and then we played dolls and read books and colored.  I have a little book of photos of her first year, and she wanted to look at that.  I got a kick out of her.  The very few first pages she'd say:  "Oh....how cute"  "Oh, look at how cute".  The very last photo, she is crying.  She wanted to know why...I told her it was because it was the end of the book, and that seemed to satisfy her.
When we went to bed, she slept with me.  I absolutely will treasure that forever.  She would entertwine her fingers with mine (all night) and she laid one leg over mine.  If I would move, she would wake up and ask "What's you doing Grandma"  She is a very light sleeper, and when she would wake up, she always asked me something that made perfect sense.  Not like someone talking in their sleep.
When it was time to get up, I got out of bed...and of course " What's you doing Grandma"  I told her I was going to go take a shower, but I'd turn the TV on for her and she could watch cartoons if she wanted.  She did.  But, Grandpa said she told him..."I'll watch TV, but I'm not going to sleep".  Then a little later she told me" I never got scared".
We mad waffles for breakfast, because she told me she loves them.  But all she really ate was the raspeberry jam off them.  I ended up eating the waffle.
She took a bath and gave one of the dolls a bath with her.  It's a quipie doll, with the hair curled on top.  Well, this one has plastic hair, and it really bothered her.  She kept wanting to cut it off.  Then she tried washing it off.  When I did her hair, we did a ponytail, and she told me "That's cute.  Thanks"
We played dolls and dishes and games and then she decided that we should pack our diaper bags and go to Las Vegas.  So, we packed them and came upstairs.  I pretended that we were shopping and then I told her we'd fly to Vegas.  I went into the library room and sat on the couch and told her to buckle up before we took off.  She gave me a strange look and then said..."it's a couch, Grandma".  I said...no, it's an airplane and we're going to fly to Vegas.  She reached over and patted the couch and looked at me again, with a disgusted look and said..."No.  I can feel it!  It's a couch".  I guess you can only pretend so far with her.
Her, Grandpa and I went to McDonald's for lunch, and again...she was so excited to go...but didn't eat anything.  I'm not sure why she thinks she likes the place so much.
She feel asleep on the way home, but when Braquel came to get her, we spent a while taking photos.  She didn't feel very well, and I could tell she had a little bit of a fever, but she was so good.  She changed clothes several times and let me snap away. 
Oh what a joy being a Grandma is!


1 comment:

allthingsrobbin said...

Lois, what a wonderful grandma you are! Your grandkids are sure blessed to have you!