Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My retreat challenge #2


The challenge was to scrap about a favorite hobby or something I really enjoyed doing.  I don't know if I'd call making these hats a hobby or an obsession.  I started making these crocheted hats last fall because when we went to Boise shopping, we saw the cutest brown hat with a pink flower on it, but it was too small for Ellie's head.  I started looking for a pattern and when Robin and I were in Porter's one day, I found a little "free printed" pattern.  It was for a baby, and the first one I made was pretty small.  But I've crocheted for a long time, and it wasn't too hard to figure out what to do from then on.  Lots of people asked for the pattern, but it was so far from what I started with, that I couldn't really give the pattern to them.  I did explain it to Margene, and she made all of Ashley's students hats for Christmas.  Once I had one made, Danelle's other girls were asking for hats...in browns, purples, etc.  So, I just kept making them!  It was fun because they all seemed to really like them.
To begin with, I was going to keep track of how many I made and take photos of all of them.  Somewhere along the way though, I gave up.  I just made too many.  But I had so much fun doing it.  I tried to make every hat original.  I never made the same color and pattern combinations. 
For Christmas, I made every grandchild and the adults hats. 

No comments: