Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Quilt


I may have written about this before, but I decided to make a quilt for someone that works with Dave.  Evidently they loved the quilt that mom had made Steph & Dave for a "car" quilt.  They told them they had wanted a quilt forever but hadn't been able to find one they could afford to purchase. 
I don't know what quilts normally sell for, but the ones I make...are not cheap.  Fabric hasn't gotten out of reason...anywhere from $9.+ to 13.+...and of course, it takes a lot.  7 yards usually just for the back.  And if you want to color co-ordinate it...lots for the front.  Soooo...I had most of this fabric left over from the last quilt top I made for a grandkid...and thought I'd try it.  (Note:  when I volunteered to make a quilt...I was only going to make a small rag quilt)  Well, to make a long story short this turned into quite a different story when I made 30 blocks, set it together with sashing, decided to quilt it rather than tie it....I did machine quilt it.  And I can promise you I won't do that again.  It took forever and a ton of thread and was so hard.  I pinned everything about 3-4 inches apart.  I probably used 500 safety pins.  Well, I promised "short"...it took forever.  But, when I got done...I loved it.  Jeff didn't want me to give it away.  Steph said she is waiting to give it to them closer to Christmas, and I can't wait for that phone call telling me what they think.  Hope they love it.


No comments: