Saturday, January 28, 2012

Our horses


A couple of years ago, we actually thought of getting rid of all our horses.  We had gotten rid of Kato, and we were pretty upset over that.  But, we still had Sage.  Then Larry & Jeff brought a mare to our place to pasture, and she had a colt that spring.  They stayed until fall, and then they wanted to leave the colt and take the mare...so they could wean the colt.  Of course, I was already attached to "Boots" as we called the colt, so I didn't have a problem with that.  By the next spring, I wanted to buy him.  Boots is the one looking at me taking the photo with the white blaze.  Then Jeff decided he really needed a new horse, so he bought Chief.  The one laying down. 
The pinto is sort of a long story.  Before I bought Sage (after we had to get rid of our Arabian due to cancer) I loved this pinto.  But it wasn't even a year old and I really needed a horse I could ride then.  So, we passed and bought Sage instead.  Well, last year, the guy who had owned the Pinto called us and said his son & DIL had taken the pinto and broke him, but now they really needed to sell him.  The guy had to move from Boise to Idaho Falls for his job and they were making double house payments.  We're thinking...we really don't need another horse.  But we drove to Blackfoot and looked at him and rode him.  And...we bought him.  He has turned out to be the horse that Jeff has taken elk hunting and on his rides.  Vern has been riding Sage, so Ivy and I have been riding Sage & Chief in the evenings when we can. 
Next spring, we'll get Boots ready to go, and we're going to have way....way...too many horses.  But, you become very attached to them.  They are intelligent and loving, and it will be very hard to let any of them go.  Everyone tells me how expensive it is to own horses...and it is.  Hay, grain, bug spray, worming, West Nile shots every year, vet bills, and on and on.  But, when you look out and they are looking back at you...as if to say "Where's my apple?"  How can you not Love them?  I do.

No comments: