Wednesday, October 10, 2012

4 wheeling in northern Utah ...again







We had so much fun this weekend.  There were eight of us, and we've never really spent much time riding with a group...other than family.  But we had a ball.  We started out from the camp ground at City of Rocks, and as we went across the desert to Yost, we saw an antelope, who tried to out run us, and two bull elk.  They must have been running for awhile also, because their tongues were hanging out.
In Yost, we saw a home where they had all kinds of antiques and rocks displayed.  The last two photos are part of that.
Then we headed up the canyon.  We saw wild turkeys there.  Then we ran onto a couple of young kids, and the girl was sitting in the road holding her stomach and crying.  We stopped and found out that she had tried to get over for a pickup and rolled her 4-wheeler on top of her.  I think she had a broken arm.  So Jeff went riding back to find her dad and the rest of us tried to comfort her.  She was going into shock, so I took off my coat and put around her.  I tried to talk to her to get her mind off the pain, but I think she was more afraid of what her father was going to say....she kept saying, "my dad's going to kill me".  I kept reassuring her that he would just be glad she didn't get hurt any worse.  It worked for awhile, and then she'd start again.  I felt sorry for her.  We never did run into her bike to see how bad it was.
Then it was forward and up, up, up.  We reached heights of 10,000'.  It was a kick and just beautiful.  Utah had opened for sage grouse that day, and there were a million hunters all over.  We ate lunch and then headed up further.
I'll finish the rest of the story tomorrow.

No comments: